Here are some other things you can expect:
- Expect to work. Our primary goal of introducing patients to Jesus Christ through the tool of medicine means that we put in long hours. We will typically treat about 500 patients each full day of clinic. We have a lot of fun, but this is certainly not a vacation.
- Expect to use your creative thinking skills. Rarely is our clinic site a true clinic. We set up in schools, churches, etc, which means that we must be creative in how/where we set up the clinic – our supplies are limited. We don’t have everything at our disposal, therefore we come up with creative solutions to accomplish our goals.
- Expect to push yourself outside of your comfort zone.
- You will be exposed to a different culture, different customs and probably a different language than you are used to.
- You may see illnesses that you have never seen before.
- You will see poverty and difficult situations.
- You will try new foods.
- Although comfortable, hotel accomadations are not comparable to hotels in the United States.
- Weather conditions are sometimes very hot, sometimes very cold and clinic settings are often uncomfortable.
- Expect to have fun.
- We will have a time of designated site-seeing and shopping.
- We are a light-hearted group and enjoying laughing!
- Expect to be flexible.
- You may be asked to work in an area doing something you have never done before.
- We may have to change the way we are doing things based upon situations that arise.
- Plans may change due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Our motto is: Be fluid – flexible is too stiff.
- Expect to work as a team.
- Each team member is important for the proper function of the clinic.
- We expect each member to do their part.
- We learn from each other, as we know that each of us has different strengths and weaknesses.
- Expect a spiritual emphasis.
- We are not ashamed that our main focus is evangelism. While no team member is directly responsible for evangelism, we do pay careful attention to the counseling area.
- We have team devotions each morning led by our MMO director.
- We attend church services at our hosting church. Sometimes team members participate in the services with preaching, singing, or special music. No one is required to participate, however every team member is required to attend the services.
- Expect God to bless.
- Your life will be forever changed if you come selflessly serving and expecting great things.